Hey guys! I wanted to do something pink and cute for Valentine’s day, so obviously, I’m doing it without Serena’s help this time. I’ve been loving a shortbread recipe I found recently, and I added a couple ingredients for a fresh Valentine’s Day twist. The original recipe is found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Shortbread-Cookies-II.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Red food coloring (about six drops, but you can kinda see what shade you’d like)
- 1 tsp rose water
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in vanilla, food coloring and rose water; add flour and mix well.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Here the recipe says to put them through a cookie press and form cookies (picture shown has star shaped cookies). I just pinched off roughly tablespoon sized pieces and rolled them into balls, then placed them half an inch apart on the cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. I find I like them soft right out of the oven – they harden to regular shortbread texture within an hour or so.
These taste like perfectly buttery shortbread cookies with a nice, balanced rose water flavor – not the kind that makes you feel like you’re licking your grandma or anything. I generally find floral foods to be soapy, but believe me, this is perfect!