I’m convinced that New Year’s is the worst possible time to decide to do anything, ever. For example, our resolution last year was to post this drink in January.
I’m sure you can see how that turned out.
In any case, 12 months later, we present to you these Tequila Maraschino Shots. This is our bright idea for a resolution this year: only resolve to do things that you already know you’re going to do. And for each inspired thing you come up with, we invite you to take a shot with us.
For example, in 2017, I will:
- Drive somewhere.
- Eat food.
- Lose all phone chargers in my apartment.
- Forget where I am at least twice.
- Get drunk on New Year’s Eve.
Bam. Done. In fact, I’m probably going to knock these guys out all on the same day, and while I’m being so responsible, I will also resolve to not wear pants that don’t have an elastic waistband for most of my waking hours, re-watch My Little Pony until I’ve memorized all the dialogue – again – and, I’ll incur a minor injury during the one hour I spend in the gym this year and spend the next 364 days recovering from it.
Oh, yes. 2017 will be a productive year, indeed…
Tequila Maraschino Shots
We humbly suggest that you start off 2017 with these Tequila Maraschino Shots, made from gold tequila, maraschino liqueur, lemon simple syrup, and lemon-lime Powerade – you know, to class it up a little. And keep you hydrated. Reduce your hangover?
Whatever excuse you can come up with to convince yourself to drink these, use that one.
For those of you who haven’t tried it, maraschino liqueur tastes like what you’d expect, mostly – maraschino cherries. It’s sweet without being syrupy, with an aftertaste like lychee and bubblegum. Combined with the lemon simple syrup, tequila, and Powerade, you wind up with these beautiful golden shots that taste like lemony bubblegum candies. In fact, the flavor tastes like it belongs in a gummy bear, and we’ll warn you that these are just as addicting. So, if your plan is to wake up at 8am on New Year’s Day and workout, well… good luck with that.
We’ll be in bed.
- Cocktail shaker
- Shot glasses. If you have ones with lids, like ours, these make a perfect New Year’s party drink that can be kept over ice to serve a larger crowd.
- 2 oz. maraschino liqueur. We used Paolo Lazzaroni & Figli and highly recommend it. Luxardo is another trustworthy brand.
- 2 oz. gold or reposado tequila
- 2 oz. lemon-lime Powerade / Gatorade
- 2 oz. lemon simple syrup, using:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice concentrate, such Minute Maid
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
How to Put It in Your Mouth:
- In a small saucepan, heat the lemon juice until simmering, then add the sugar. Stir over heat until dissolved, then remove pan from heat.
- Add ingredients in cocktail shaker and shake over ice. Serve immediately.
- Make your resolutions and enjoy!
NOTE: This makes about 8 oz., but since all the ingredients are in equal parts, you can easily increase the size of the recipe.
These shots are also tasty enough to drink as a cocktail!
Have a Happy New Year! Also, FYI, this picture is misleading. These are for putting in your mouth, not on your head.
Just thought I’d point that out in case you’ve started celebrating early.